Taiwan is a beautiful island to the eastern coast of China, rich in flora and fauna. Since it is located close to the tropic of cancer, it boasts a tropical marine climate. Moreover, the diverse culture of Taiwan is a hybrid blend of traditional Chinese culture, traditional Confucianist beliefs, Japanese culture, and western values. So if you are curious about the visa procedure and guidelines, then you come at right place. Since through this blog we will be discussing the types of visa for Taiwan, especially for student and the documents required.
A visa is required to visit Taiwan whatsoever be the reason. If you already have a valid US, UK, or Schengen visa, you can get an e-visa.
Types of Visas
A stepwise guide to Taiwanese student visa
- Apply for a Taiwanese student visa after you get your confirmation of enrolment from your Universities/Institutes.
- Apply for a visa from the nearest embassy/consulate in your home country.
- If your study program lasts more than 180 days, you must apply for a residence visa at the nearest Taiwan embassy.
- After entering Taiwan with the residence permit, you will have to apply for a re-entry permit and alien resident certificate at the National Immigration Agency within 15 days of your arrival.
- You are required to undergo a medical health examination before you apply for a visa.
- Apply for a Police clearance certificate
- Get your educational documents attested from the Ministry of External Affairs. State Government and Taiwan Embassy are obligatory.
One should keep the following documents ready before you lodge a visa application;
- Passport (six months validity with few blank pages)
- Color photographs
- Visa application form
- Acceptance letter from the Taiwanese university
- Visa request letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Proof of enrollment
- Bank proofs
- Medical reports
- Degree certificates or previous educational documents.
The processing time depends on the embassy. However, one usually gets it within a week. For further details, please refer to, https://www.taiwan.gov.tw/3818.php
Other types of Visas
This visa is for the tourists who intend to visit the country for tourism purposes. One can further change the visitor visa to a resident permit. However, you will have to prove it through your employer or institutions.
One gets this visa if:
- You have come to Taiwan for studies, work, etc
- Marriage to a citizen of Taiwan can apply for resident permit
So to get a work permit, one has to change the current visa to a residence permit.
Documents for a work permit:
- Medical test reports
- Drug test
- Employment contract
- Passport and photographs
- Transcript of your educational documents or certificates.
Here are the following requirements which must be met to apply for a Permanent resident
- Completed five years stay in Taiwan
- A Spouse and children of Taiwan citizens who are foreigners can apply. They should have been in the ROC legally for ten years.
We hope that the information provided will be helpful to you. Travel to your dream study destination with your head held high. So, all the best for a new beginning, new chapter, new endeavors, and new challenges.